Sunday, July 13, 2008

Seward Alaska

WHOA MOMMA! Seward is AWESOME!! I am loving me some Alaska in the summertime (despite the unseasonable cool temps)! We drove down on July 3rd and stayed until the 6th. Kevin's Mom came in for the fun. She was a trooper considering we drug her into the wilderness for 4 days AND this was her FIRST time camping!! We enjoyed the local scene by watching the fisherman bring in their catch for the day. We saw a 174lb halibut. WOW-SA! I was wishing that was going in my freezer! We saw the running of Mt Marathon. A 3.2 mile race that reaches over 3000ft in elevation in those 3.2 miles. The folks running come down the mountain tumbling! The cross the finish line beat up, bloody, muddy and broken. The amazing thing was the youth that ran it. Some of the kids looked 7,8,9 yrs old. They were crossing the line with muddy faces and dragging feet. KUDOS to those very brave kids. They ROCK! We ate our first Reindeer dog. YUMMY! We had dinner at a local joint whose motto was "Stop Here for Cheap Beer and Lousy Food". Can I say that it doesn't get much better than that. We made a short hike to the Exit Glacier. Noah walked the entire almost 3 miles. He mentioned on the way back that he missed his hiking buddy, Cole. We miss you Stice's! The glacier was "cool", pun intended. Har har. The scenery here is unmatched. We took a thousand pics. We also broke 2 cameras on this trip!!! Urgh! We had a moose walk through our camp, how cool?! One of the great things I love about camping in AK is that you can bike into most towns from your campsite. So you avoid the horrendous traffic and get to things easily. Added bonus is you can work off some of those smownies, smores, and our new creation, campfire fondue. Campfire fondue is what happens when you have two choc-o-holics (me and Krista) who have too much chocolate and time on their hands late at night around a campfire! yuuuuuummmmmm. While in Seward we did more than just eat. We visited the SeaLife Center. It's like a big aquarium that also rescues AK's injured wildlife. The kids loved the puffins and the salmon. Caleb was daring and actively participated in the discovery zone where you could touch all kinds of starfish, anemone, and crabs. Noah wouldn't touch the water! HA! The entire walk through the place was filled with resounding echos of "Hey guys over here!" by Noah and Caleb's "ish! ish! ish!!" We also took a sightseeing cruise. That deserves a post of its own. It was a busy weekend but it was a blast.

1 comment:

The Griffith Family said...

I wondered where you'd been... I can't wait to see pics. I want to be stationed in AK... I'm so jeoulous. I know I've told you that over and over. I want to move to AK...